About Yulia Hanansen and Her Work
Yulia Hanansen is a second-generation artist. Having mastered many techniques including mosaics, printmaking, drawing, painting, textiles, and more, Yulia has been primarily working in mosaics, prints, and painting. She takes pride in her ability to be able to create art in a variety of media and in a vast array of themes she comes up with. Her Mosaic Sphere Studio, LLC was the first mosaic studio/gallery in the state of Michigan to show and represent mosaic artwork. Studio has evolved through the years to offer not only unique mosaic artwork, but also prints, paintings, and drawings. Studio is currently located in a charming city of Baltimore, Maryland, USA where Yulia works and lives.
Yulia is a recipient of numerous awards for her mosaic and printmaking artwork, including “Best in Show” and “Juror’s Choice” awards. Yulia’s works have been exhibited in the galleries nationwide and internationally: New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, Seattle, Tacoma, San Francisco, San Diego, Mesa, Miami, Dallas, Ann Arbor, Grado, Italy, and other locations. Work has been collected by patrons in the USA, Canada, Russia, Lithuania, Uzbekistan, Israel, Australia, Italy, South Korea, and South Pole.
Yulia’s latest works represent her fascination with themes of nature, climate change, cosmos, and a connection of human beings to it. She is interested in depicting places and natural phenomena that are only noticeable with the help of technology. Her personal and experimental artwork uses a variety of media and all of them involve subtle layering of the materials. For example, layered glass technique that Yulia invented at the start of her carer allows for the vertical build up of glass and for creating a relief structures. In a traditional mosaic the work is finished when the last piece is put down and there are no more spaces to be filled. Layered glass mosaics provide for the infinite ways of finishing the project and finishing it when the artist decides that it’s done. This technique is about the infinity. Like in a brush-stroke painting, there is no end to a number of the brush-strokes that can be applied to the work surface. Yulia’s prints also use unique combinations of layers, especially the monoprints. Printmaking for Yulia is about freedom, about dancing with the medium and collaborating with it.
M.F.A. Columbia University. New York, NY. Printmaking/Digital Media.
M.A. University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, MI. Graphics.
B.F.A. The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. New York, NY. Graphics/Painting/Photography.
Apprenticeships in mosaics, large scale works, tapestry weaving, and academic drawing with Yakov and Angele Hanansen
Artist and Educator, Owner of Mosaic Sphere Studio, LLC.
Adjunct Professor, College of Arts and Communications, Towson University, MD.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Guest Artist shows at Andamento Gallery, Hamden, Baltimore, MD, 2021, 2017-2018
- “Garden Galaxy”, collaborative exhibition, Rawlings Conservatory & Botanic Gardens, Baltimore, MD. 2015
- “Cosmic Powers Earthly Flowers”, Cooperstown Art Association; Cooperstown, NY, 2012
- “Starscapes”, CMS Gallery, Chicago Mosaic School, Chicago, IL. 2011
- “Impact: Crater Lakes, Imaginary and Real”. Mosaic Sphere Studio, Ann Arbor, MI. 2005
- “Future Myths of Space”. Exhibition presented by Ann Arbor Art Center, Ann Arbor, MI. 2002
- “Stepping Into Space”. Michigan Guild Gallery, Ann Arbor, MI. 2002
- “Terminal”. LeRoy Neiman Center for Print Studies Gallery. Columbia University, New York, NY. April 1999
Selected Group Exhibitions
- “Layers of Ink”, St.Louis Artist’s Guild, St.Louis, MO.
- Annual Juried Exhibition, Cooperstown Art Association, Cooperstown, NY.
- “Light Show”, Annmarie Sculpture Garden and Art Center, Solomons, MD.
- “Mosaic Arts International”: Juried art exhibition, online.
- “Mosaic Arts International”: Juried art exhibition, Parthenon Museum Building, Nashville, TN.
- Mosaic Arts International 2019: Architectural & Site-Specific Mosaic exhibition.
- A Juror for the National Juried Art Show. Cooperstown Art Association, Cooperstown, NY.
- ”Ferment-Azione: Wine & Alchemy in Mosaic Art”, Museo Civico Dei TerritorioPalazzo Locatelli, Cormons, Italy.
- Expo Delle Opere Del Clauiano Mosaic Symposium, Grado, Italy.
- Mosaic Arts International, In Situ, San Diego, CA.
- “Symbols of Judaism”, Museum of Biblical Art, Dallas, TX.
- Art of Stewardship. Howard Country Conservancy, Woodstock, MD.
Mosaic Arts International, Philadelphia, PA.
“Shattering Expectations”, juried show, Philadelphia Magic Gardens, Philadelphia, PA.
- “Signatures”, all invitational show of contemporary mosaic arts, Highfield Hall, Falmouth, MA.
- “TransPosition”, all invitational show of contemporary mosaic arts, Seattle, WA.
- “Terra Incognita”, a 5-person group exhibition, Pennsylvania College of Technology, Williamsport, PA.
- Mosaic Arts International, Mexican American Cultural Center, Austin, TX. Best in Show winner for “Jupiter: Great Red Spot” mosaic.
- Mosaic Arts Group Show, Smith Museum of Stained Glass, Chicago, IL.
- Second Annual National Arts Program exhibition, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- “Imaging Universe” Slusser Gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- “Inspired by…” Du Pont Gallery, University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA.
- “Opus Veritas. Fragments of Truth”. Museo Italico, San Francisco, CA.
- Award: Best in Show, “Print” show. Ann Arbor Art Center, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Award: Honorable mention. Universal Warning Sign Design for Yucca Mountain nuclear waste storage facility, Barrick Museum, UNLV, Las Vegas, NV.
Selected Awards & Grants
- Juror’s Choice Award, printmaking. Annual Juried Exhibition, Cooperstown Art Association, Cooperstown, NY, 2022
- Honorable Mention, printmaking. Layers of Ink, St.Louis Artist’s Guild, St.Louis, MO, 2022
- Juror’s Choice award. Mosaic Arts International: Juried art exhibition. Showing ”Light as a Wave as a Particle”, 2021
- Honorable Mention Art of Stewardship, Howard County conservancy, 2016.
- Best of Show Prize for “Jupiter: Great Red Spot” mosaic, Mosaic Arts International, Austin, TX., 2011.
- Golden Paint Brush Award, for “Great Lakes Ecosystem” 8-panel mural. Award is given by the City Council of Ann Arbor for an outstanding public artwork in the city of Ann Arbor, MI.2009.
- People’s Choice Award, for “Moebius Drive” mosaic. Award is given for an outstanding artwork in the University of Michigan Alumni Show, Ann Arbor, MI. 2009.
- Ann Arbor Public Schools grant to create “Habits of Mind”16-panel installation, using help of Scarlett Middle School students, Ann Arbor, MI, 2007.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Ann Arbor Art Center, Ann Arbor, MI, 2003.
- Best of Show Award, “Print” show. Ann Arbor Art Center, Ann Arbor, MI. 2002.
- Honorable Mention, Universal Warning Sign Design for Yucca Mountain nuclear waste storage facility. Las Vegas, NV. 2002.
- LeRoy Neiman Fellow, LeRoy Neiman Center for Print Studies, Columbia University, New York, NY.
- Full Tuition Scholarship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Full Tuition Scholarship, The Cooper Union for Advancement of Science and Art.
International Mosaic Art Residency, Udine, Italy. A 2 week art residency with other artists from around the world. Artists completed individual pieces to be exhibited during the Mosaic Symposium and later to travel around European countries. Project sponsored by Clauiano Mosaics, local businesses, and municipal grants.
- “Mosaique” magazine, France. Winter 2012, 2016, and 2021 issues.
- “Architectural Digest”, February 2014 issue.
- “Mosaico Na Rede”, Brazilian magazine for mosaic arts, December 2012.
- “Mosaic Art Now” international on-line publication, June 2012: http://www.mosaicartnow.com/2012/06/cosmic-powers-earthly-flowers-yulia-hanansen
- “Mosaic Art Now” international on-line publication July 2012: http://www.mosaicartnow.com/2012/07/terra-incognita/
- “Mosaic Art Now” international on-line publication June 2012: http://www.mosaicartnow.com/2012/06/to-work-without-fear-yakov-and-yulia-hanansen/
- Cover of “Groutline” magazine and article, summer issue, 2011.
- “Mosaic Art Now”, international mosaic art magazine, 2010.
- “Breakout” full chapter in a book, by Britt Hammer, Blurb Publications Netherlands, 2010.
- “Mosaic Renaissance: Millefiori in Mosaics”, book by Laurel Skye, 2009.
- “Mosaic Art 2007”, international CD portfolio of mosaic art, 2008.
- “Yulia Hanansen”, front cover and an article in a “Groutline” newsletter of the Society of American Mosaic Artists, summer 2008, V9 #3.
- “Inspired by… Contemporary Mosaics & the Historical Tradition”, University of Mary Washington, 2008.
- “Mosaic: Finding Your Voice” book, by Britt Hammer Dijcks, 2008.
- “Stunning New Art at the Gardens”, Matthaei Botanical Gardens, University of Michigan, summer 2008.
- “Best of Mosaic Art” magazine, 2008.
- “K Code Magazine”, Italy, Dec. 2002